Linda reveals granddaughter's choking horror
"She stopped breathing and went blue in the face"
On today's Loose Women Linda Robson opened up about the terrifying moment her granddaughter started choking on the lid of a shampoo bottle after she accidentally put it in her mouth.
The Loose Woman revealed she had just been evicted from the jungle and was in the middle of a press interview when the incident unfolded.
She described her sheer panic at seeing her granddaughter's face turn blue as she struggled to breathe.
Thankfully, Linda's daughter performed the Heimlich manoeuvre and managed to dislodge the bottle cap in the nick of time.
Linda went on to demonstrate the Heimlich manoeuvre on Ruth live on air.
4 steps to follow in the event of a baby choking
On Tuesday night's Inside Birmingham Children's Hospital on Ch4, we saw nine-month-old Leyton brought to hospital after his heart stopped during a choking accident. Sadly his life couldn't be saved. But the couple wanted to air the tragic accident to raise awareness about choking.
Below are the 4 steps, suggested by St John Ambulance that you should follow:
Step 1: Slap it out. Sit down and lay them face down along your thigh. Supporting the baby's head, give up to five sharp blows between their shoulder blades with the heel of your hand.
Step 2: Check their mouth. Then check their mouth to see if there's anything in there. If you can, pick the object out carefully with your fingertips ‒ take care not to push it further in.
Step 3: Squeeze it out. If the back blows fail to clear the blockage, give up to five chest thrusts. With the baby laid face up along the length of your thigh, put two fingers just below the level of their nipples and push downwards up to five times. Check their mouth and carefully pick the object out.
Step 4: Call for help. If they're still choking, call 999 or 112 for an ambulance. Once you’ve called an ambulance, continue steps 2 and 3 (back blows and chest thrusts) until what’s in there has cleared, help arrives, or they become unresponsive. If they become unresponsive at any stage, open their airway and check their breathing. If they’re not breathing, start CPR to try to release whatever’s stuck in there
More information and advice on what to do if your baby is choking can be found on the St John Ambulance website here
Information about baby first aid courses can be found here
Advice if a toddler (over 1 year old) is choking
Cough it outEncourage them to cough it out. If that doesn't work, try to slap it out.
Slap it outIf coughing doesn't work:Help the child bend forward and use the heel of your hand to give up to five sharp back blows between their shoulder blades.Check their mouth to see if there’s anything in there. If there is, get them to pick it out themselves.
Squeeze it outIf the back blows don't work, try giving them up to five abdominal thrusts:To do this, stand behind the child, making sure they are bending well forward.Link your hands between their tummy button and the bottom of their chest, with your lower hand clenched in a fist. Then pull sharply inwards and upwards.
More information can be found here