Nadia's Lazy Coronation Cake Recipe
Are you a lazy baker? Promised to make a cake for the Coronation? Don’t worry, Nadia’s got you covered with a really simple and easy recipe which you can be as lazy as you like with!
For the cake
250g self raising flour
1 tsp of baking powder
250g caster sugar
250g of butter or baking margarine
1 tsp vanilla
2 - 4 tbsp of milk
For the decoration
2 -3 tbsp of lemon curd or jam
250 g of desiccated coconut
Red and blue food colouring (I used paste)
1. Heat the oven to 180c or 160c fan
2. Grease and line a 20x30cm tray bake tin
3. Bung all cake ingredients into a bowl and mix with an electric whisk, then spoon into the tin.
4. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then poke with a skewer. If it comes out clean your cake is done! If it comes out with mixture on, it’s not ready so leave it for around five minutes more, or until the skewer comes out clean.
5. Once it's cooked, let it cool completely.
6. While the cake is cooling off, divide your coconut into 3 bowls, two with 100g and one with 50g.
7. Then mix red food colouring (I used paste), with a little bit of water in a cup, and mix this in with one of the 100g of coconut bowls. Adding more colouring if needed to get a nice red colour.
8 Mix up the blue food colouring (I used paste), with a little bit of water and then add to the bowl of coconut with 50g in it.
9. Then, once the cake is cool, cover the cake with lemon curd or jam and decorate with the Union Jack flag with your coloured coconut. (Use the picture of mine as a guide!)
10. And you’re done!