Beef pasty friands
Beef Pasty Friands
Prep: 15 minutesCook: 35 minutes
80g onion, finely chopped
1 stem fresh thyme
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
80g carrot, finely chopped
1 tbsp Dijon or French mustard
½ tsp clear honey
1 tsp finely chopped parsley
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
½ red chilli, finely chopped
1 vegetable stock pot
250g minced beef
2 x 500g shop-bought all-butter puff pastry
1 tbsp milk
1. In a pan, add the butter, onion, thyme, and garlic, and cook until the onion softens.
2. Add the carrots, mustard, honey, parsley, ground ginger, salt, pepper, chilli, and vegetable stock, and mix well for about 2 minutes.
3. Add the minced beef and keep mixing until well combined and cooked. Set aside to cool.
4. Make the egg wash by beating the egg in a bowl with a fork and stirring in the milk until combined.
5. Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6.
6. Roll both of the pastry blocks out on a floured surface to 3mm thickness.
7. Cut one sheet into 10 rectangles measuring 10cm x 6cm.
8. Cut the second sheet into 10 rectangles measuring 11cm x 7cm.
9. Fill each 10cm x 6 cm rectangle with 2 tsp of the cooled minced beef mixture.
10. Brush the edges of each 11cm x 7cm rectangle with the egg wash and place over the smaller rectangles filled with minced beef.
11. Press to seal, then crimp using a fork. Place the friands on a lined baking sheet/s, use a knife to score a criss-cross pattern across the top of liked and brush with egg wash.
12. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Replace the butter with olive oil if liked.Switch the minced beef for chopped shitake and chestnut mushrooms.