Briony's Simple Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
As we get into the holiday spirit, Bake Off's Briony brings a taste of the Mediterranean to your kitchen with her simple spanakopita.. that’s a Greek spinach pie for those wondering.
1 pack filo pastry (250-300g)
2 red onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
450g fresh spinach, chopped
100g cream cheese
150g feta, crumbled
50g butter/spread, melted
1. Oven on to 180C fan/200C.
2. Dice onions and garlic. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan then add onions and garlic. Gently heat until softened. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Place in a sieve and use a spoon to press out as much water as possible. Set aside.
3. Mix together the eggs (set aside a tablespoon of egg for the egg wash), cream cheese and feta. Add the spinach mixture and mix together.
4. Place a filo sheet on a chopping board/surface and use a pastry brush to brush over melted butter. Place another sheet on top and repeat twice more.
5. Place half of the filling along the length of the filo pastry sheets about half an inch from the edge. Roll up into a sausage shape making sure to cover any exposed filo pastry with melted butter. Repeat steps 4 & 5 so you have 2 filo sausages.
6. In an 8 inch cake tin, roll the first filo sausage in a spiral in the middle of the tin then place the other around the outside. Brush top with egg wash.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.