Ching's Chinese chicken thighs
A quick and easy recipe – perfect for a speedy midweek supper!
Hoisin chicken with pineapple and mushroom fried rice
Serves 2- 4 to share
Prep time 5 minutes, plus 20 minutes marinating (optional)
Cook in 35-40 minutes
3 organic chicken drumsticks, skin on
4 organic chicken thighs, skin on
1 spring onion, finely sliced for garnish
For the marinade
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2.5cm freshly grated root ginger
1 tablespoon of Shaosing rice wine or dry sherry
3 tbsp premium light soy sauce
1 tbsp premium dark soy sauce
1 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. For the marinade, place the hoisin sauce, ginger, Shaosing wine, light and dark soy sauce, brown sugar and rapeseed oil in a large bowl, add the chicken pieces and toss in the marinade to coat. Cover the bowl with a plate and place in the fridge to marinate for 20 minutes if you have it, otherwise just cook straight away.
3. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and place in a roasting tray. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until thoroughly cooked through and the skin is crispy. Sprinkle over spring onions and dress with any juices in the tray, and serve with Pineapple & Mushroom Fried Rice (see recipe below).
I love the flavours of mushroom and pineapple and especially in fried rice. The sweet and umami flavours really pair well with most roast meats whether chicken or pork. This makes a super speedy delicious meal on it’s own or as an accompaniment to other dishes.
Pineapple and mushroom fried rice
Serves 2 or 4 to share
Prep 20 minutes including cooking time for rice
Cook 5 minutes
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
2.5cm fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
100g carrots, top, tailed, peeled, diced
100g French beans, top, tailed, slice to 0.5cm rounds
1 small tin of sweetcorn, drained
150g shiitake mushrooms, sliced into strips
350g cooked Jasmine rice
1 tbsp vegetarian mushroom sauce
1-2 tbsp premium light soy sauce
1 small pineapple, sliced into 2 halves, middle scooped out and diced
1 large pinch of ground white pepper
1 tsp pure sesame oil
2 spring onions, washed, top, tailed, sliced into rounds
1 tsp drizzle of Chiu Chow chilli oil
1. Heat a wok over high heat until smoking, add the rapeseed oil. Give the oil a swirl and add the ginger and chilli and stir for a few seconds. Add the carrots and French beans, cook for a few seconds, add the sweetcorn, shiitake mushrooms and toss while cooking for less than 1 minute. Add the cooked Jasmine rice and with a spoon, start to break down the rice gently in the wok.
2. Add the mushroom sauce, followed by light soy sauce and mix well. Add the cubed pineapple and toss together. Season with 1 more tablespoon of light soy sauce.
3. Add a pinch of ground white pepper and a small dash of sesame oil. To garnish sprinkle over sliced spring onions.
4. Serve with Chiu Chow chilli oil on the side.
Tip - Use leftover rice from the day or chill the rice well before cooking so it isn’t too soggy.