Lisa Faulkner's hazelnut meringues with blackberries and cream
TV presenter and actress Lisa Faulkner, join forces with some of her famous female friends to cook, but more importantly to celebrate the vital roles female loved ones have played in our lives in the past 18 months and how we should treasure these always!
Hazelnut meringues with blackberries and cream
Makes about 6-8 sandwiched together meringues
Prep 20 minutes
Cook 1 hour, plus cooling time
4 egg whites
250g caster sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
100g toasted chopped hazelnuts
250ml double cream
2 tsp icing sugar
Approximately 150g blackberries, washed and sprinkled with a heaped teaspoon of caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 120C/gas ½.
2. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Use a little of the whisked raw meringue to stick the paper to the baking trays.
3. In a large bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then add the sugar in a steady stream until the egg whites turn glossy and form stiff peaks. Then whisk in the vinegar.
4. Gently fold in the hazelnuts, if liked you can leave a few to sprinkle over the tops of the meringues.
5. Spoon the meringue (about 12 dessert spoon size balls) onto the trays and bake for 1 hour. Turn off the oven then leave to cool in the oven. Cool on wire racks.
6. To decorate: Whisk the cream and the icing sugar together until soft peak stage then sandwich the meringues together with a few blackberries too. Serve immediately.