Lisa Faulkner's toad in the hole
Lisa Faulkner makes toad in the hole... with a twist!
Toad in the hole
Prep: 10 minutes, plus resting time
Cook: 45 minutes
For the batter
Salt and pepper
1 tsp mustard powder (optional)
120g plain flour
6-8 sausages or vegetarian sausage meatballs
90ml olive oil
2 leeks, sliced
A knob of butter
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6
2. Make the batter by beating the egg into the milk with a little salt. Add the mustard powder to the flour and then make a well in the centre of the flour and beat in the milk/egg mixture. Season and set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
3. Remove the sausages from their skins and roll each into 2 little balls
4. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and brown the sausage balls until golden. Set aside.
5. Next soften the leeks in the same pan using the oil from the sausages and add a little knob of butter once soft and slightly golden. Set aside with the sausages.
6. Put the remaining olive oil into an ovenproof dish and heat in the oven for a good few minutes until piping hot. Add the leeks and sausage balls and then pour over the batter. Cook for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown and puffy.
7. Serve with vegetables of your choice with lots of hot gravy