Lisa's corn chip chicken with smoky bean salsa
Lisa's corn chip chicken with smoky bean salsa is a quick, easy meal that the kids will love to help out with!
Corn chip chicken and smoky bean salsa
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 jar tomato salsa
1 tsp hot smoked sweet paprika
400g tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed
400g tin butter or cannellini beans drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper
200g bag tortilla chips, add 1 tsp paprika or use chilli tortilla chips (optional)
4 chicken breasts or a pack of mini fillets (400g)
Mayonnaise approx 200ml
Grated cheese and soured cream
Don't forget to check out Lisa's top tip to make meals go further!
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5
2. Heat the oil in a casserole dish. Add the onion to the pan and fry over a low heat until really softened . Add the garlic and fry for a minute more then add the tomatoes, salsa, paprika and 250ml water measured into the empty tomato tin and let bubble away. Add the kidney and butter or cannellini beans, season and bring to the boil.
3. Cover with the lid and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes adding a splash more water if needed
4. Crush the tortilla chips in the bag using a rolling pin. Adding paprika if liked.
5. Cut the chicken into strips if needed and coat with mayonnaise
6. Roll in the corn chips and place on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper and bake for 12 -14 minutes, until golden and thoroughly cooked through
7. Serve the smoky bean salsa with the corn chip chicken, grated cheese and soured cream
Serve with rice if you like to make a really substantial meal
Use a few tortilla wraps and any leftover smoky bean salsa and cheese to make quesadillas. Or use to top a jacket potato.
Make a Caesar salad wrap using leftover corn chip chicken fillets