Patti Sloley's perfect sides - mango salad and spicy roast potatoes
Patti Sloley's spicy roast potatoes and green mango salad are the perfect accompaniment to your Christmas or Sunday roast dinner.
Green Mango SaladServes 4Prep: 15 minutes
Ingredients2 unripe green mangoes (green skin and hard to the touch)2 garlic cloves, minced2 tbsp rapeseed oilJuice of 1 limeSalt and freshly ground black pepper to seasonChives or chopped spring onions to garnishGarnish with any of the following:Lettuce, 1 spring onion - sliced, 1 green chilli - sliced, 1 red chilli - sliced, fresh coriander or parsley leaves, snipped chives, sprinkling black sesame seeds
Method1. Peel the mango, slice and cut into thin strips and place in a bowl.
2. Mix the garlic, oil, lime juice, salt and pepper and pour over the mango, stir to combine.
3. Cover and refrigerate for an hour before serving.
4. Garnish with chopped chives or spring onions. Serve with any of the garnish ingredients of your choice. If you have large lettuce leaves the salad looks good served inside the leaves. Serve with cold meats of your choice, spicy roast potatoes, (see recipe below) chutneys and pickles.
Tip:This salad works just as well if the mangoes give a little as you squeeze and are sweet.
Spicy Roast PotatoesServes 4 Prep: 5 minutesCook: 10-15 minutes
Ingredients10 cold roast potatoes1 tsp ground cumin seeds1 tsp coriander seeds1 tsp garlic granules1 tsp onion granules1 tsp nigella seeds1 tsp smoked paprika¼ tsp salt1 tbsp rapeseed oil
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Chop the potatoes into chunks.
3. In a shallow bowl mix together the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic granules, onion granules, nigella seeds, smoked paprika, salt and rapeseed oil.
4. Add the potato chunks and gently mix to coat.
5. Tip the potatoes onto a tray lined with greaseproof paper.
6. Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until crisp and golden. Serve with the mango salad and cold meat selection.