Serves 6 - 8
Prep 20 minutes
Cook 10 - 12 minutes
250g plain flour
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp caster sugar
60g butter, cold and cubed
100ml single cream
1 egg, beaten
For the filling:
200g strawberries, sliced
1 tbsp caster sugar
200ml double cream
2 tsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Icing sugar and extra strawberry to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. For the shortcake: Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder together, add the sugar and butter and pulse together in a food processor until you have a breadcrumb like mixture (you can do this by hand but try not to mix it too much).
3. Add the cream and beaten egg and pulse again until mixture just comes together. Shape into a ball and roll out on a lightly floured surface. Place in a greased 18 cm spring-form or sandwich tin lightly shaping to fit the tin.
4. Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes until golden and risen. Leave too cool.
5. For the filling: Place the sliced strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle with caster sugar, mix to combine and set aside and leave for about 10 minutes or so.
6. Whisk the cream with the icing sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks. Fold in the strawberries.
7. When the large shortcake scone is cooled, slice in half horizontally and sandwich together with the strawberry cream mix. Dust the top with icing sugar, decorate with a fanned out or sliced strawberry and serve with a lovely cup of tea!