A delicious cake that’s easy to prepare and perfect with a cup of tea. Serve topped with passion fruit syrup, or slightly warm with a dollop of Onken Light & Fruity Passionfruit yogurt.
Duration: 15 minutes
180g plain flour
100g caster sugar
100g light brown soft sugar
60g ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 tsp salt
250g soft unsalted butter, cubed
4 medium eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
125g Onken Light & Fruity Passionfruit yogurt
Zest of 1 lemon
50 ml water
Juice and flesh of 6 passionfruit
Strips of lime zest, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm springform cake tin with a little butter and line the base with baking paper.
2. Sift the flour, sugars, ground almonds, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into the bowl of your stand mixer.
3. Add the butter, eggs, yogurt and lemon zest and mix with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Stop the mixer and scrape them bottom and sides and then mix for another minute on maximum speed until the batter is smooth and fairly thick.
4. Transfer the batter into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
5. Bake for 1 hour or until the cake is golden and risen and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
6. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
7. Make the passionfruit syrup. Halve the passionfruit and scoop out the flesh into a fine sieve set over a bowl. Press the passionfruit with the back of the spoon and extract as much juice as possible. Set the juice and the reserved pulp aside.
8. Put the sugar and water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
9. Increase the heat and bring to the boil and continue to cook until the caramel starts to turn a pale golden colour.
10. Carefully add the passionfruit juice, watch out because the mixture will bubble and steam, and stir to combine. Add the reserved pulp and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes then set aside to cool slightly – the syrup will thicken as it cools.
11. Spoon the passionfruit syrup over the cake and sprinkle with lime zest.