1. ITV Report

Family of missing boy 'grateful' after body found in sea

Dylan Cecil Photo: Family handout

Police believe they have found the body of four-year-old Dylan Cecil, who into the sea from a jetty in Burnham-on-Sea in Somerset on Sunday.

Dylan's relatives have said they are "still extremely traumatised" but "grateful" to police and rescue crews for giving them the opportunity to bury him.

A statement from Avon and Somerset Police today said:

I can confirm we were called at about 12.30pm today by a member of the public to the body of a young boy found on the water's edge near to the yacht club at Burnham-on-Sea.

The body is still to be formally identified but I believe it to be that of Dylan Cecil who went missing last Sunday evening.

An intensive search was launched on Sunday and continued throughout the night into Monday morning to try to find the missing boy from Kettering.

– Supt Keith McCoubrey, Head of Operations, Somerset West policing district
Floral tributes left at the scene in Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset Credit: Steve Parsons/PA Wire

Dylan's family also released a statement thanking the public for "all the messages of sympathy and support".

Their particular thanks, however, was reserved for the police and rescue crews who have worked around the clock first to rescue Dylan and then to recover his body:

In particular we would like to thank the people involved in the search – the police, RNLI, HM Coast Guard and the Burnham-on-Sea Area Rescue Boat.

We are still extremely traumatised but very grateful that it appears Dylan has been returned to allow us to bury our son.

RNLI crews search the water off Burnham-on-Sea Credit: Steve Parsons/PA Wire

Dylan, from Kettering, Northamptonshire, was visiting his grandparents with his mother, father Darren Cecil and two younger sisters, aged one and three.

He had wanted to get a closer look at the sea when he slipped off the side of the jetty and disappeared beneath the water.

The slipway that Dylan slipped off Credit: Steve Parsons/PA Wire

The Coastguard and police launched a large search and rescue operation after a member of the public saw Dylan's parents attempting to rescue him.

The search for Dylan, who was wearing a T-shirt and shorts, was called off at 4.30pm on Monday but volunteers have continued to look for him to bring closure to his family.

More on this story