1. ITV Report

Think you have been mis-sold energy by SSE? A guide to what you can do

Ofgem's fine is the largest ever imposed on an energy supplier. Photo: Press Association

Energy supplier SSE (formerly known as Scottish Southern Energy) has been fined £10.5m by Ofgem for mis-selling to its customers.

The regulator said "misleading and unsubstantiated statements" were made to potential customers about prices and savings that could be made by switching to the energy provider.

SSE has a £5 million mis-selling fund in place, from which customers can receive compensation if they have been mis-sold products.

Ofgem is encouraging anyone who believes they have been a victim of mis-selling to by SSE to call the fund’s dedicated line on 0845 0707 388.

SSE said it was "deeply regreful" that the conditions for energy sales had been breached. Credit: Press Association

In a statement on its website, SSE said it believed:

All customers who may have been financially disadvantaged as a result of the breaches should have received a letter alerting them to the Sales Guarantee nevertheless, our dedicated team can be contacted on 0800 975 3341.

EDF was also fined by Ofgem over its sales problems last year.

In April 2012, EDF Energy agreed to pay a £4.5m fine to help vulnerable customers for breaching marketing licence conditions.

Ofgem is also conducting mis-selling investigations into Scottish Power, Npower and E.ON.

The Citizens Advice Bureau offers the following advice to consumers that have a complaint against an energy company.

  • Make your complaint by letter, telephone, online or by email.
  • Make sure you keep a copy of anything you send, including energy bills and note when they were sent.
  • Energy suppliers have a set time limit in which to resolve most complaints. The time limit is eight weeks for the big six energy suppliers or 12 weeks for smaller suppliers.
  • If you are happy with the way your supplier is handling your complaint, you can ask for an internal review.
  • If you want to take the complaint further, you can contact the Ombudsman Services: Energy. In NI, you can contact the Consumer Council for Northern Ireland.

Other organisations that can provide assistance and advice to consumers on resolving complaints with an energy supplier include:

Useful links

More on this story