Three British men were sentenced to four years in prison today after being found guilty of drug offences in Dubai.

Grant Cameron, Karl Williams and Suneet Jeerh claim they were tortured by police in the United Arab Emirates, with one family member alleging that her brother was punched, kicked, stripped naked and electrocuted.

Here we look at three other cases where Britons claimed to have been tortured by foreign authorities.


Backpacker Patrick Malluzzo was arrested in 2004 during a trip in India after one of his three bags was found to contain cannabis.

The bags were under train seats booked in Mr Malluzzo and a friend's name but the backpacker claims he was never on that carriage.

He claimed that the Indian police subjected him to brutal torture and forced him to make a televised confession.

It took two years for the trial to come to court where Mr Malluzzo could not understand the proceedings and was given no opportunity to give evidence.

He was found guilty and spent a total of seven years in an Indian jail where his health deteriorated badly.

The backpacker was transferred to a UK prison in February 2011.

United Arab Emirates

British national Amir Azam and his family moved to Dubai in 2002 to open a luxury car showroom.

In 2006, Mr Azam was found guilty of money laundering and drug smuggling and was sentenced to deportation and life imprisonment.

The Briton claims he was tortured into a confession by the police - an allegation that has not been investigated.

He also said that his defence rights had been violated because he was not offered an interpreter during his trial and there was no concrete evidence to support the prosecution's case.

Saudi Arabia

Former captives of the Saudi Authorities (L to R) James Cottle, James Lee, Sandy Mitchell, William Sampson and Les Walker.

Seven men were jailed in 2000 after being accused of taking part in a bombing campaign in Saudi Arabia.

One attack killed British national Christopher Rodway.

Sandy Mitchell, Les Walker and William Sampson claimed they were tortured and forced to confess to the bombings.

Ron Jones, who was injured in a Riyadh blast, claimed he was beaten on his hands and feet, deprived of sleep and fed drugs in a bid to make him confess to the attacks.

Mr Jones was released after 67 days.

All the men were released by the Saudi Arabia authorities in 2003 after al-Qaeda coordinated an attack with nine suicide bombers, disproving the theory that the previous attacks had been motivated by an alcohol turf war between Westerners.

In 2004, the Court of Appeal ruled that Mr Mitchell, Mr Walker, Mr Jones and Mr Sampson could sue Saudi Arabia for damages.

However, that decision was overturned two years later when Saudi Arabia, supported by the British government, argued that they were protected by state immunity.