Radio 4's Today programme was a double winner at the Sony Awards tonight as it took the breakfast show award - and host John Humphrys won a prize in the wake of his grilling of George Entwistle which led to him quitting as BBC director-general.
Veteran presenter Humphrys collected the radio journalism award just months after his interview sealed the fate of Mr Entwistle after just 54 days as DG over his disastrous handling of the Savile scandal.
Also among the major winners was Radio 5 Live which took the much sought-after station of the year prize, beating Classic FM and the BBC's Asian Network.
Coverage of London 2012 also helped 5 Live to the award for best events coverage while Peter Allen and Colin Murray's Olympics show was named best sports programme.
Judges said of the station: "5 Live reflected the drama and passion of some amazing events through the Jubilee and the Olympics, but also delivered really ambitious and difficult journalism."
Picking up a third win in as many years was Danny Baker who collected the best entertainment show prize for his Radio 5 Live programme, beating presenters such as Radio 1's Greg James.
Baker's win comes months after he famously quit another BBC show with a valedictory two-hour live rant, blasting the bosses of BBC London after hearing his daily show was being axed.
Steve Lamacq, a tireless champion of new music since starting at Radio 1 two decades ago, was given the Special Award in recognition of his contribution.
Full list of winners
- Best Music Programme - The Dermot O'Leary Show (BBC Radio 2)
- Best Comedy - Isy Suttie: Pearl and Dave (BBC Radio 4)
- Best Drama - The Resistance of Mrs Brown (BBC Radio 4)
- Music Radio Personality of the Year - Christian O'Connell (Absolute Radio)
- Music Radio Broadcaster of the Year - Cerys On 6 (BBC 6 Music)
- Speech Radio Broadcaster of the Year - Eddie Mair (BBC Radio 4)
- Breakfast Show of the Year (under 10 million) - Sam & Amy (Gem 106)
- Breakfast Show of the Year (10 million plus) - Today Programme (BBC Radio 4)
- Best Station Imaging - BBC Radio 2
- Best Sports Programme - 5 Live Olympics with Peter Allen and Colin Murray (BBC Radio 5 live)
- Station of the Year (300,000 to 1 million) - BBC Radio Humberside
- Station of the Year (1 million plus) - Metro Radio
- UK Station of the Year - BBC Radio 5 live
- UK Radio Brand of the Year - Classic FM
- Gold Award - Richard Park
- Station of the Year (under 300,000) - KL.FM 96.7
- Best Feature or Documentary - Bruising Silence (BBC Radio 1)
- Best Speech Programme - Witness (BBC World Service)
- Best Competition - Coca-Cola Fan Reporter (talkSPORT)
- Best Music Feature or Documentary - The Story of Ed Sheeran (BBC Radio 1)
- Best Entertainment Programme - The Danny Baker Show (BBC Radio 5 live)
- Best News & Current Affairs Programme - BBC Radio 1 Newsbeat (BBC Radio 1)
- Best Promotional/Advertising Campaign - The Gothic Imagination (BBC Radio 4)
- Radio Journalism of the Year - John Humphrys (BBC Radio 4)
- Best Community Programming - Ciaran's Cause (Real Radio North West)
- Best News Feature or Documentary - The Bombardment of Homs (BBC World Service)
- Best Use of Multiplatform - Radio 1's Review Show (BBC Radio 1)
- Best Use of Branded Content - The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show with Wickes (Absolute Radio)
- Best Coverage of a Live Event - London 2012 : The Olympic & Paralympic Games (BBC Radio 5 live)
- Special Award - Steve Lamacq
- Sony Golden Headphones Award - Dan Howell and Phil Lester (BBC Radio 1)