50 years on: What happened to the Great Train Robbers?

Roy James, Buster Edwards, Roger Cordery, Jimmy White, Gordon Goody and Jimmy Hussey, who attended a Cambridge Union debate at Cambridge. Credit: PA wire

Bruce Reynolds: The mastermind behind the robbery. Nicknamed 'Napoleon', he initially fled to Mexico and was joined by his wife and son, before moving to Canada.

When the cash ran out, he returned to England and was captured in Torquay in 1968 and sentenced to 25 years in jail. His son said he died in his sleep on February 28 2013.

Ronnie Biggs spent 36 years on the run in Australia and Brazil. Credit: PA wire

Ronnie Biggs: He only played a minor role in the robbery, but his life on the run after escaping prison made him the most well-known.

Ronald Arthur Biggs fled over the walls of London's Wandsworth prison in April 1965, 15 months into a 30-year sentence.

He had plastic surgery and lived as a fugitive in Australia and Brazil, only returning to the UK 36 years later when his health deteriorated.

He was sent back to prison in 2001 and was finally freed in 2009. He remains in a nursing home in North London.

After his release, Ronald "Buster" Edwards used to sell flowers outside Waterloo station. Credit: PA wire

Ronald Edwards: He fled to Mexico after the heist but gave himself up in 1966.

The ex-boxer and club owner was jailed for nine years. After he was released, he turned his life around with a flower stall outside Waterloo Station in London.

Ronald 'Buster' Edwards was found hanged in a garage in 1994. His funeral cortege was accompanied by two wreaths in the shape of trains.

Charlie Wilson was the final train robber to be released in 1978. Credit: PA wire

Charlie Wilson: The gang's treasurer, who gave each of the robbers their cut of the cash, was captured quickly.

Nicknamed 'the silent man' he refused to say anything during his trial at Aylesbury Crown Court in 1964.

He was sentenced to 30 years behind bars but escaped after four months. He was recaptured in Canada after four years on the run and served another ten years in jail.

He was shot dead by a hitman in Marbella, Spain, in 1990.

Roy James was jailed for 30 years. Credit: PA wire

Roy James: He was the getaway driver who dreamed of investing his share of the haul in new car technology. James, who was nicknamed 'Weasel', was caught after a rooftop chase across London. Police tracked him down from a tell-tale fingerprint at the gang's farm hideout. He died at the age of 62.

Bill Boal: An engineer who was arrested in possession of £141,000. Gang leader Reynolds denied knowing Boal who he described as 'an innocent man' who wasn't involved. He was jailed for 24 years, which was reduced to 14. He died in 1970.

Brian Field: A crooked solicitor the gang used when they bought the farm hideout after the heist. He was sentenced to 25 years, which was later reduced to five. He died in 1979.

Tommy Wisbey: A self-confessed 'heavy' who the gang used to frighten train staff. He was sentenced to 30 years and released in 1976.

Bobby Welch: He was sentenced to 30 years behind bars and released in 1976. After jail, the former nightclub owner became a car dealer and gambler in London.

Gordon Goody: A hairdresser who was jailed for 30 years and released in 1975. He moved to Spain to run a bar.

Roy James, Buster Edwards, Roger Cordery, Jimmy White, Gordon Goody and Jimmy Hussey. Credit: PA wire

James Hussey: A decorator who was sentenced to 30 years and released in 1975. He was known as 'Big Jim' and later worked on a market stall and opened a restaurant in Soho, London. He died from cancer in November 2012 at the age of 79.

Jimmy White: A former Paratrooper who was on the run for three years after the heist. He was caught in Kent and jailed for 18 years. He has now died.

Roger Cordrey: A florist who was arrested in Bournemouth after renting a lock-up from a policeman's widow. He spent 14 years in jail. After he was released he went back to the flower business.

John Wheater: A solicitor who was sentenced to three years for conspiring to pervert the course of justice. He lived in Surrey after he was released in 1966.

Leonard Field: He was sentenced to 25 years which was reduced to five. The former merchant seaman lived in North London after he was released in 1967.