British teenagers treated in London hospital after return from Zanzibar acid attack

One of the two young women is lead from an ambulance in London today. Credit: ITV News

Two British teenagers attacked with acid on Zanzibar are "well" in hospital in London.

Volunteer teachers Katie Gee and Kirstie Trup, both 18, were been flown in to RAF Northolt in London to be reunited with their families.

ITV News Paul Davies reports:

On Friday evening Ms Gee tweeted:

A photograph released by the girls' families showed the injuries one of them suffered in the attack.

The girl is shown wearing an open striped shirt and a silver necklace.

What appear to be acid burns are clearly visible on her chin, neck and upper chest.

The image showed burns to the girl's face and chest.

In a statement outside Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, Mr Andy Williams, consultant burns and plastic surgeon, said: "We can confirm that Katie and Kirstie have been transferred to our care at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital's burns unit where we're still assessing their injuries.

"Both girls are well and their families are with them. They will be staying at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital."

A man who witnessed the attack said the women's injuries could have been worse if it wasn't for the "quick-thinking" of local men who took her to the sea to wash away the corrosive substance.

"Three local guys - kids, 15-year-olds, picked her [Kirsty Gee] up and they carried her to the sea, which was very close, and they got her in the sea and started washing her down," said the witness, who asked to remain anonymous.

"It's thanks to their quick-thinking that her injuries aren't quite as bad as they might be."

Five men are being questioned by police on the Indian Ocean island after the women were attacked by men on a motorbike as they walked along a road on Wednesday night.

Mkadam Khamis, regional police commissioner on Zanzibar, told the Daily Telegraph: "There are five people we have, all men, who we are interrogating over this matter this morning.

"They have not yet been arrested. They are co-operating and answering our questions."Later today maybe there will be a development legally."

The young women, from north London, were enjoying the last week of a trip as volunteer teachers to the predominantly Muslim island when a corrosive substance was thrown at them in an apparently unprovoked attack.