1. ITV Report

Mark Duggan was lawfully killed by police marksman, jury conclude

Mark Duggan was lawfully killed, a jury ruled. Photo: Jeff Moore/Empics Entertainment

Mark Duggan was lawfully killed when he was shot dead by a police marksman in 2011, a jury has found.

The father-of-six's death led to protests in London that later exploded into looting and rioting across the country.

ITV News Correspondent Juliet Bremner reports:

Mr Duggan was gunned down in Tottenham, north London, when police stopped a taxi he was travelling in.

He was being followed by officers who believed he was planning on picking up a gun from another man, Kevin Hutchinson-Foster, and then move on to Broadwater Farm, also in Tottenham.

Police pictured at the scene in Tottenham Hale after Mark Duggan was shot. Credit: Jeff Moore/Empics Entertainment

Jurors concluded today that Mr Duggan's death was lawful and they also decided that he did have a gun but it was not in his hand when he was shot.

Outside court, Mr Duggan's family said the jury's conclusion was "perverse" and claimed the father-of-six was "executed."

His aunt Carole Duggan added: "The majority of people know Mark was executed...we will fight for justice for Mark and his children."

Shaun Hall, Mr Duggan's brother, said after the verdict: "We still fight for justice."

The jury were asked to consider the five following questions, and here are their answers:

  • 1. Did the police do their best to with intelligence that Mark Duggan may collect a gun?
  • No.
  • 2. Was the stop conducted in a way which minimised the possibility of having to use fatal force?
  • Yes.
  • 3. Did Mr Duggan have the gun with him in the taxi immediately before the stop?
  • Yes.
  • 4. How did the gun get to the grassy area it was found in?
  • Mark Duggan threw it.
  • 5. When Mr Duggan received the fatal shot did he have the gun in his hand?
  • No.
Mark Duggan was shot dead in 2011. Credit: Jeff Moore/Empics Entertainment

Emotional outbursts followed the jury's conclusion, with Mr Duggan's brother shouting after the jurors as they left court, saying "f**k them", and other supporters said "murderers".

Some people smashed a door outside the court and security staff were called to contain the situation.

Mr Duggan was shot dead by police on August 4 2011 in Tottenham, north London, and his death sparked widespread riots across the country.

Riot police during the first night of the riots, in Tottenham. Credit: Lewis Whyld/PA Wire

Unrest and violence in the wake of his death spread from the capital to Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham and Bristol.

Two people lost their lives in the London riots with Trevor Ellis, 26, found with bullet wounds in a car in Croydon and Richard Bowes, 68, critically injured when he tried to extinguish a fire.

Trevor Ellis was found with bullet wounds in a car in Croydon. Credit: Met Police

The Independent Police Complaints Commission later revealed that there was no evidence Mr Duggan had opened fire at police before being shot dead by a firearms officer.

An inquest into his death started in September 2013 and the jury ruled concluded that his death was lawful.

More on this story