The sister of a missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 passenger has said that her hopes had been "raised" her brother was still alive, after hearing news the plane was deliberately flown off course.
Paul Weeks, a 38-year-old New Zealander, was en route to Mongolia for a new job in the mining industry, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
No trace of the Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777-200ER has been found since it vanished on March 8 with 239 people on board, but investigators believe it was diverted by someone who knew how to switch off its communications and tracking systems.
Sara Weeks told Television New Zealand that she found it "scary" that someone may have deliberately taken the plane.
Malaysia's prime minister said on Saturday satellite data suggest the plane could be anywhere in either of two arcs: one stretching from northern Thailand to the border of Kazakhstan and Turkmenistan, or a southern arc heading from Indonesia to the vast southern Indian Ocean.
Ms Weeks added the new developments are starting to piece the puzzle.
Malaysia Airlines defended its decision yesterday not to share potential leads on the missing MH370 flight with the families of the passengers.
In a statement posted on Facebook, the company said it has shared "all available information with the relevant authorities since the moment we learned the aircraft had disappeared, in the early hours of of Saturday 8th March".
Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said that police searched the house of the pilot and co-pilot of the missing flight, adding that officials are also examining the pilot's flight simulator, but urged the public "not to jump to conclusions" regarding the investigations.