Their first dance at their lavish Mumbai wedding appeared to show a couple very much in love. Newly weds, Anni and Shrien Dewani happy to be embarking on their new life together.

But just two weeks later, while on honeymoon in South Africa, the bride would be dead and her new husband would be accused of arranging her murder.

After a three year, hard fought battle against extradition, tonight, Shrien Dewani is due to be flown to Cape Town and make his first, albeit brief, appearance in a South African court tomorrow morning. Once he lands, it is expected he will be formally interviewed under caution and charged. He is then due to be taken to Western Cape High Court.

Shrien Dewani and his wife Anni photographed at their wedding. Credit: ITV News

His lawyers argue, Mr Dewani is mentally unfit to stand trial and since his wife's murder he has suffered post traumatic stress disorder and depression. He has been compulsorily held in the UK under the Mental Health Act.

But last month he lost his final legal appeal against extradition. The first task for the South African court is to decide whether he is mentally fit to stand trial.

If they decide not, it is expected Mr Dewani will be taken to Valkenberg hospital, a psychiatric facility in Cape Town. The South African authorities have promised Mr Dewani will be returned to the UK after eighteen months, if he is declared unfit.

Shrien Dewani is expected to be flown to South Africa this evening. Credit: Press Association

The 33-year-old businessman from Bristol denies any involvement in Anni's murder in November 2010. She was shot in the taxi the couple had been travelling in after an apparent carjacking in the township of Gugulethu, on the outskirts of Cape Town. He claims they were kidnapped at gunpoint and he was released unharmed.

Three South African men have been convicted and sentenced for their part in the killing. Xolile Mngeni, was convicted of the murder and jailed for life. Zola Tongo, a taxi driver, was jailed for 18 years after he admitted his part in the killing while another accomplice, Mziwamadoda Qwabe, pleaded guilty to murder and received a 25-year prison sentence. Both Tongo and Qwabe testified in court that Mr Dewani ordered Anni's killing.