As the fourth in line to the throne, William and Kate's new baby will not be expected to be crowned sovereign.
He or she will join second-born Royal children as being known as the "spare to heir".
- Their second-born will be a great-grandchild to the Queen
- It will be a great-great-great-great-great-grandchild of Queen Victoria
- Its birth will push Prince Harry down to fifth in line for the throne
- The Duke of York will move to sixth place and princesses Beatrice and Eugenie to seventh and eighth
- If the baby is a girl, it will be the first time a great granddaughter of a still-serving Monarch has been born in direct succession on the male line since 1897