Faulty Christmas tree lights warning after house fire rescue

Fire crews have warned of the dangers of faulty Christmas tree lights. Credit: PA Wire

Firefighters have warned the public to be aware of faulty Christmas tree lights after three people were rescued from a serious blaze.

Fire crews believe the fire at a property in Doncaster, South Yorkshire in the early hours of Sunday morning was sparked by faulty tree lights.

Two people - a man in his 30s and another in his 20s - were neighbours who had rushed into the property to save the occupant of the house, a woman in her 20s.

All three were hospitalised suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.

Watch Manager Dave Newton said: "This was a really serious fire which has resulted in three people being taken to hospital.

"The fire on the ground floor of the house was fully developed.

"The early conclusions of our fire investigators are that faulty Christmas tree lights caused the blaze, so please check the safety of any lights you are using."