Shock as Crufts show dog dies amid poisoning fears

The owners of Thendara Satisfaction, known as Jagger, believe he was poisoned Credit: oakdene.be

A dog has died after competing at international dog show Crufts, with fears he may have been poisoned.

The three-year-old Irish setter called Jagger, whose show name was Thendara Satisfaction, reportedly collapsed and died after returning to its home in Belgium on Friday.

According to dogworld.co.uk, the owners have claimed post mortem results found a number of poisons had been put into cubes of meat and then fed to the animal.

He was one of several dogs showed by owners Dee Milligan-Bott and Alexandra Lauwers at the event, held at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham.

She also hinted that she believes one of her other prize-winning pooches may have been the target.

Police in Belgium and the RSPCA have now launched an investigation.

The Kennel Club said it was supporting the owners.

BBC presenter Clare Balding has also taken to Twitter to express her horror at the news.