A teenage boy who "lit up the life" of everyone he met has died in hospital after taking what he thought was ecstasy.

Tributes have been paid to Toby Fairclough, aged 17, who collapsed after suffering a cardiac arrest while on playing fields in North Marston, Buckinghamshire, on Friday night.

He had taken something resembling the illegal drug, also known as MDMA, and died a few hours later at Stoke Mandeville Hospital.

His devastated family today paid tribute to the "cherished, sporty, ebullient" teen, who they described as a "caring and loving" big brother.

Toby has left a huge hole in all of our lives. He was brilliant. Sometimes sporty, sometimes disinterested. Sometimes sociable, sometimes quiet. Sometimes the life and soul of the party, sometimes shy.

Family tribute

A post mortem is due to take place next week, including a toxicology test to determine exactly what Toby took. The results are expected within weeks.

The tragedy has sparked a warning from police against experimenting with illegal drugs.

Late on Friday night or in the early hours of Saturday morning, we believe that Toby digested a substance which he believed to be the illegal drug MDMA (ecstasy).

Det Insp Brendan Murray, Thames Valley Police