Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Mother warns of dangers of DNP after daughter dies after taking 'diet drug'

Eloise Parry died in April after taking the dinitrophenol, also known as DNP. Photo: West Mercia Police

The mother of a 21-year-old student, who died of an accidental overdose, after taking the "toxic" drug dinitrophenol, known as DNP, has warned of the dangers of taking the 'diet pill'.

Eloise Parry, who "had issues with bulimia", died at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in April after taking the tablets to lose weight.

Fiona Parry said: "Eloise decided that even though she'd been told DNP was dangerous, being slimmer was worth the risk. She was convinced that the dangers were being exaggerated.

"She weighed the pros and cons and made a bad choice, it cost her, her life", she added.

I would implore anyone even considering taking DNP or something similar not to do so. These substances are sold by people who don't care about your health, they just want your money...

So please don't do it, looking good should never cost you your health or your life. DNP, do not purchase, do not partake...death's not pleasant.

– Fiona Parry, mother of Eloise Parry

Eloise had sent a message to her college lecturer on the morning of her death, which said "I think I am going to die".

"No one is known to have survived after being sick after taking DNP," she wrote from hospital.

The student's GP said that while Eloise was not addicted she had "no apparent ability" to stop taking the pills.

DNP can be toxic even in very small amounts, the NHS has warned Credit: NHS Choices

DNP, which is also available as a powder, is not a controlled substance despite being linked to several previous deaths in the UK and overseas.

The industrial chemical, which is unfit for human consumption, was the subject of an Interpol warning notice issued to 190 countries in May.

Senior Coroner for Shropshire, John Ellery, ruled that Eloise's death was an "accidental consequence", of taking DNP in relation to her eating disorder.

This is a clearly a dangerous, toxic and fatal substance which should not be accessible and certainly not to persons seeking online self-prescribed medication.

– Senior Coroner for Shropshire, John Ellery

Mr Ellery said he will write to the health minister about his concerns, adding "if the minister considers it appropriate to see whether DNP should be a classified substance that would be an appropriate outcome from this inquest".

More on this story