EE recalls power bars after 'exploding' charger burns woman

Medical student Katy Emslie posted a picture of her burnt hand on Twitter after her EE power bar 'exploded' Credit: @kemslie89

EE is recalling thousands of its Power Bar portable chargers amid concerns of overheating and explosions.

Katy Emslie said that the portable charger almost burnt down her house as well as leaving her with these injuries Credit: @kemslie89

A fault was found in some of the free chargers that can cause them to overheat and even explode.

Last week, a medical student in Aberdeen tweeted a picture of burns to her hand that she said was caused by an exploding Power Bar.

"Ty [Thank you] EE for the powerbar which exploded, almost burned down our house + left my hand like this: #Firework," Katy Emslie, 26, wrote on Twitter.

The mobile operator has warned customers in a text message today that they are recalling the devices marked E1-06.

EE is recalling some of its free portable chargers over safety fears. Credit: EE

"We're recalling batch E1-06 and request that customers stop using them and return their device to a local EE store at their earliest convenience," the mobile operator said.

EE said that no other batch numbers have been affected and the firm intends to replace those recalled "once we've completed our investigations".

Launched in April, EE's Power Bar scheme gives customers the chance to claim the free portable charger and replace them at EE stores for fully charged ones if they are away from a power supply.

The scheme was met with huge demand and around 1.5 million power bars were have been issued.

The mobile operator is yet to offer any further comment on the recall.