A doctor whose mistakes led to the death of a six-year-old boy has been found guilty of his manslaughter by gross negligence.
Jack Adcock died at Leicester Royal Infirmary in February 2011, after being admitted with sickness and breathing difficulties.
Jack's family shouted "yes" as Dr Hadiza Bawa-Garba was convicted for her role in the boy's death.
Bawa-Garba, and an agency nurse, Isabel Amaro, were responsible for Jack’s care.
Amaro had already been found guilty of manslaughter.
Dr Bawa-Garba failed to diagnose that he was in septic shock as a result of pneumonia, then failed to monitor his condition properly. She also admitted during her trial that she had failed to recognise abnormal blood results.
When Jack went into cardiac arrest, she mixed him up with another boy who was the subject of a ‘Do Not Resuscitate’ order and told other medics to stop attempts to save him. Another, more junior, doctor spotted the error, but Jack died shortly afterwards.
The court heard he was already ‘past the point of no return’ as a result of the earlier errors.
Jack’s mother, Nicky, told ITV News:
I wish I’d never taken him to hospital that day. From the minute he went in to the minute he fell asleep on me they never gave him a chance.
Dr Bawa-Garba admitted during the trial at Nottingham Crown Court that “with the benefit of hindsight” Jack should have been admitted to intensive care as soon as he arrived at hospital, and should have been seen by a consultant.
She had recently returned to work after 13 months of maternity leave, but denied that she was not “up to speed” on the day Jack died.
She diagnosed him with gastroenteritis, and did not act on an x-ray showing his pneumonia for four hours. It was six hours after admission that he was finally prescribed antibiotics.
The court was told that nurse Isabel Amaro failed to monitor Jack’s condition properly, failed to take readings and kept records that were “woefully incomplete.”
Another nurse, ward sister Theresa Taylor, was cleared of manslaughter, but remains under investigation by the Nursing and Midwifery Council.