Father who lost son in fire: 'Dryer recall is too little too late'

Video report by ITV News Consumer Editor Chris Choi

The father of a man killed in a fire - he believes may have been caused by a faulty tumble dryer - has said a mass recall by manufacturers is "too little too late".

Douglas McTavish lost his son Doug, 39, when a fire broke out at a flat in Wales last year.

An inquest to determine the exact cause of the fire, which also killed another man, will take place at a later date.

Mr Mctavish told ITV News: "The only thing we can hope now is that the problem is removed, the people responsible for this stand up and are accountable, and that it never happens again."

Doug McTavish said the tumble dryer recall was 'too little too late'. Credit: ITV News

Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda tumble dryers are currently involved in a high-scale recall.

Emma Palmer's Hotpoint dryer caught fire two years ago but her and her son managed to escape.

Independent experts ruled it started when fluff was drawn into the heater element - the same problem affecting dryers in the new recall.

Emma told ITV News: "I was petrified. Me and my son were literally hanging out of the window.

"There was a fault on my machine and it was nothing to do with me."

Emma Palmer told ITV News she had a lucky escape. Credit: ITV News

Manufacturers said they cannot comment on individual cases but have put a "corrective action plan" in place.

Indesit told ITV News: "We have three reports of injury related to this issue - two for smoke inhalation and one for a burn for which the consumer did not seek treatment.

"We are working diligently to assure we address this issue appropriately, are working on addressing every consumer who may be affected and investigating all cases we are aware of."