Man charged with setting fire to California mosque in 'revenge attack'

A 23-year-old man has been charged with setting fire to a California mosque in a suspected revenge attack following the San Bernardino shootings.

Carl James Dial denied arson, burglary and committing a hate crime after a fire broke out at the Islamic Society of the Coachella Valley on Friday.

Officials said no one was injured in the blaze but it charred the building's front entrance leaving chunks of plaster torn out.

The mosque is about 75 miles away from the site of the mass shooting in San Bernardino in which 14 people were killed on December 2.

Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik have now been buried according to Islamic tradition, officials said. Credit: ITV News

San Bernardino shooters Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife Tashfeen Malik were killed by police shortly after the killings.

The FBI has said it is treating the massacre as an act of terrorism citing the couple's declaration they were acting on behalf of so-called Islamic State.

On his Facebook page, Dial reportedly made a number of references toIslamic State, such as on October 31 when he wrote he was watching execution videos by the militant group.

He also overlayed his profile picture with the French flag, as have many Facebook users in response to the Paris attacks which killed 130 people last month.

Dial is being held on $150,000 bail and will next appear in court on December 28.

If convicted, he faces a maximum sentence of 11 years in jail.