A "shocking breach of security" allowed 50 migrants to storm a ferry in Calais on Saturday, the chief executive of the Road Haulage Association said.
Richard Burnett said that the incident was the latest in a string of instances at the Port of Calais and called for the French military to intervene.
He said: "This shocking breach of security clearly shows that the migrant mayhem in and around Calais is not being tackled.
"This latest episode has made the headlines, but the many incidents of attacks and intimidation faced by our British drivers on a daily basis are going unreported as, depressingly, they are now being regarded as routine.
"It is now time for the authorities to acknowledge and meet our demand for the French military be deployed to secure the port and its approaches."
Mr Burnett said immediate "decisive action" was necessary, warning that it is "only a matter of time before our worst fears become a reality and a UK-bound truck driver is killed".
Amateur video published online captures the moment a crowd of refugees stormed into the port following a demonstration of support for migrants.
Video by Mattia Leogatti
In the video, migrants were seen jumping over a broken fence and entering the French port as more migrants gathered around them.
Deputy Calais prefect Denis Gaudin said that around 200 people entered the port, enabling approximately 50 of them to board the front deck of a British ferry, the 'Spirit of Britain'.
Earlier that day, around 2,000 people had gathered in Calais to stage a protest of support for migrants living in a slum nearby.
A statement from the Port of Dover said the Port of Calais had closed after experiencing "migrant activity" which had caused disruption to services.
It reopened more than two hours later, although the service was beset by hours of delays.
The incident comes after Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn visited the Grande-Synthe Camp, near Dunkirk, and The Jungle in Calais, where more than 7,000 people are sleeping rough amid the mud, wet and cold.