Two-year-old boy who choked on grape at Pizza Hut died after 'tragic accident'

A two-year-old boy died after choking on a grape at a Pizza Hut restaurant in a "tragic accident", an inquest has heard.

Jacob Jenkins died in hospital five days after the incident in Hartlepool on October 9.

Hundreds of people lined the streets of Hartlepool for his funeral, with balloons released as people paid their respects.

At the inquest into his death on Tuesday, Coroner Karen Dilks recorded a verdict of accidental death.

The coroner said Jacob's death was a "completely unexpected and unintended event, in every sense a tragic accident".

ITV News Tyne Tees correspondent Tom Sheldrick said the inquest heard of the desperate attempts to stop Jacob choking, including by his father, the Pizza Hut manager, two customers and a nearby cinema manager.

A fundraising page to help pay for Jacob's funeral and support the family has raised more than £20,000.

For more on this story, visit the ITV News Tyne Tees website.