Arsenal beat Chelsea to win Women's FA Cup Final at Wembley

Carter celebrates her brilliant winner. Credit: PA

Arsenal Ladies won the SSE Women's FA Cup for a 14th time after beating Chelsea Ladies 1-0 in a close-fought game at Wembley.

Danielle Carter's superb first-half strike was enough to secure the victory over the defending champions in front of a competition-record crowd of 32,912.

Chelsea struggled to get into the game in the first half but missed chances from the Gunners and a strong second half kept the Blues in the game until the final whistle.

Despite winning four straight games in the Women's Super League, Chelsea looked nervous and struggled to get the ball out of their half in the opening minutes. And after 18 minutes the breakthrough came from Carter, who had started the game well.

The 22-year-old forward skipped past Hannah Blundell on the left corner of the penalty area before curling a shot beyond Hedvig Lindahl.

Emma Hayes' Chelsea side seemed to wake up after the goal and their first shot on target came just two minutes later.

The crowd were in full voice. Credit: PA

England international Fran Kirby found herself onside in the right side of the penalty area but could not get her shot inside the near post of Arsenal goalkeeper Sari van Veenendaal, who saved well.

Chelsea piled on the pressure with shots on target from Ji So-Yun and Kirby, but Arsenal continued to dominate and the Gunners nearly doubled their lead through Asisat Oshoala. The 21-year-old striker got through on goal but her mis-kick was easily cleared.

The Gunners emerged after half-time still looking the stronger side but they kept Chelsea in the game by failing to get the ball in the back of the net.

Vicky Losada's header hit the crossbar and Oshoala struggled to get her shots on target. Lindahl's impressive goalkeeping kept Chelsea in the game and they nearly equalised just before the hour mark when Hannah Blundell stole the ball and ran the length of the pitch, but her shot was blocked by defender Emma Mitchell.

Chelsea couldn't find a way back into the match. Credit: PA

Chelsea's best chance of the second half came with 20 minutes to go. After securing their first corner of the afternoon the ball fell to So-Yun but her shot went just wide of the goal.

The shots carried on coming for the Blues but they could not find the back of the net as Pedro Martinez Losa's side joyously lifted the trophy.