Prince died after taking accidental overdose

Credit: Reuters

Prince died of an accidental overdose, a medical examiner revealed today.

The music icon passed away as a result of self-administering the painkiller Fentanyl, Midwest Medical Examiner's Office said in a report.

Fentanyl is a highly addictive opiate that is more powerful than morphine and is used to treat patients with severe pain, often after surgeries.

Prince's death was an accidental, a medial examiner ruled. Credit: Reuters

The 57-year-old, famous for hits including Purple Rain and Raspberry Beret, was found dead at his Minneapolis-area estate after collapsing in a lift at the Paisley Park compound.

It had previously been confirmed that investigators had been looking into whether the popstar died of a drugs overdose.

It was also being probed if a doctor was prescribing medication to the star in the weeks before he was found dead at his home on April 21.

  • What is an opioid?

An 'opioid' is a a type of narcotic pain medication whose compound reportedly resembles opium.

According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse opioid's "reduce the intensity of pain signals reaching the brain and affect those brain areas controlling emotion".

Medications that fall under the category include Vicodin, Oxycodone and Morphine.