Donald Trump's wife Melania is suing the Daily Mail over claims she was a sex worker in the 1990s.
The 46-year-old, who has been married to the Republican presidential nominee since 2005, was subject to allegations that she worked as a part-time escort in New York.
But now Mrs Trump has taken up legal action to sue the Maryland-based publisher of the Daily Mail Online and a blogger, according to her lawyer.
Mrs Trump is said to be suing for up to £114m over the claims described as "tremendously damaging".
A Daily Mail story last month cited a Slovenian magazine's report that a modelling agency Mrs Trump worked with also served as an escort business - linking wealthy clients with women for sexual services.
However, on Thursday the story was retracted by the newspaper.
On its website, the Daily Mail said any "misinterpretation" that Mrs Trump had worked as an "escort" or in the "sex business" was regretted.
In a statement, her lawyer said: "These defendants made several statements about Mrs. Trump that are 100% false and tremendously damaging to her personal and professional reputation".
It added that the Daily Mail's actions were so "egregious, malicious and harmful" as to merit £114 million in damages.