1. ITV Report

Puppy rescued from barn blaze and saved by pet-friendly oxygen mask

The pet-friendly oxygen masked helped to save Blaze. Credit: SWNS

This tiny, two-day-old puppy was rescued from a blazing barn and saved when firefighters used a pet-friendly oxygen mask on it.

The little sheepdog was close to death when it was rescued from the smoke-logged building, but firefighters gently held its face inside the special mask and saved it.

Owner, James Barter has now christened the little pup Blaze in honour of its miraculous survival.

Tiny Blaze is the only puppy to survive the fire. Credit: SWNS

The fire ripped through the barn at Hatherleigh Farm in Bovey Tracey, Devon, on Monday afternoon.

While 29-year-old Mr Barter was able to save the puppy's mother, Meg, three other puppies died in the blaze, while another later died of its burn injuries.

Blaze is the only puppy to survive.

Mr Barter described returning home to his farm and discovering the fire, and doing his best to save the dogs: "I ran there and got the puppies' mother Meg out.

"It was clear I would not be able to put the fire out but I was able to control it with a pressure washer.

"I could see one of the puppies straight away. This was the one who was alive when I found it but has now sadly died from its burns.

Farm owner James Barter did his best to save the dogs. Credit: SWNS

"I heard another one squealing and found it against the wall and when the fire brigade arrived they gave it some oxygen.

"As soon as it had the oxygen the colour started to come back in its face and we took that down to the vets for further treatment.

"There were five in total - but just one has now survived.

"I think of myself as fairly tough but I was pretty upset."

The specialist animal kit had only been donated to the fire service weeks before by charity Smokey Paws, and it was this kit, said a spokesperson for Newton Abbot Fire Station, which gave Blaze "an increased chance of survival".