- Video report by ITV News Correspondent Martha Fairlie
Angelina Jolie has filed for divorce from Brad Pitt according to her lawyer.
The 40-year-old actress issued legal documents on Monday citing 'irreconcilable differences' with the date of separation listed as September 15, 2016 according to TMZ.
They have six children - Maddox Jolie-Pitt, 14, Pax Jolie-Pitt, 11, Zahara Jolie-Pitt, 10, Shiloh Jolie-Pitt, 9, Knox Jolie-Pitt, 7, and Vivienne Jolie-Pitt, 7.
Jolie is asking for physical custody of the children and decided to file for divorce because of the way Pitt was parenting the children, a source told the celebrity website.
Jolie is being represented by divorce lawyer Laura Wasser, who helped in her divorce from Billy Bob Thornton and is representing Johnny Depp in his divorce from Amber Heard.
In a statement to People magazine Pitt said he was "saddened" and asked the media to give their children "space."
He said: "I am very saddened by this but what matters most now is the well-being of our kids. I kindly ask the press to give them the space they deserve during this challenging time."
The couple got married at their chateau in France in 2014 but have been together since 2004.
They met on the set of the spy movie 'Mr And Mrs Smith' when Pitt, 51, was married to Friends actress Jennifer Aniston.
The last film they starred in together was called 'By The Sea' which was written and directed by Jolie.
Set in 1970s France, it was the first time they had been seen together on screen in 10 years but it only made about £300,000.
Before they began filming, Jolie told the Radio Times that working with Pitt again was "daunting".
Jolie, who is a special envoy for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, has faced various health issues over recent years including a decision she made in 2013 to have a double mastectomy after learning she had an 87% chance of developing breast cancer.
Last year she had her ovaries removed after doctors detected possible signs of cancer.
Below is a time line of the rise and fall of their relationship:
- 2004 - Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt met on the set of action comedy film 'Mr & Mrs Smith', while Pitt was still married to Friends star Jennifer Aniston. Jolie had recently divorced Billy Bob Thornton
- January 2005 - Pitt and Aniston announced their decision to split after nearly five years of marriage
- March 2005 - Aniston filed for divorce, citing "irreconcilable differences"
- April 2005 - Pitt, Jolie and her adopted son Maddox were pictured holidaying together in Kenya, fuelling rumours of a relationship
- July 2005 - Pitt and Jolie posed for a photo shoot entitled "Domestic Bliss", but did not confirm their relationship officially. Later that month, Jolie adopted daughter Zahara Marley from an orphanage in Ethiopia
- January 2006 - Jolie confirmed she was pregnant with her first child with Pitt. Her children's surnames were changed to Jolie-Pitt and her film star partner legally adopted Maddox and Zahara
- May 2006 - The couple welcomed their first biological child, daughter Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt
- March 2007 - Jolie adopted three-year-old Pax from an orphanage in Vietnam
- July 2008 - Jolie gave birth to twins - a son Knox Leon and a daughter Vivienne Marcheline
- August 2014 - The couple wed at their estate in the south of France in a private ceremony
- September 2016 - A lawyer for Jolie confirmed she had filed for divorce