A man shot in protests in Charlotte on Wednesday night has died, police said, as demonstrations entered their third night following the police shooting of a black man while they were looking for a different person earlier in the day.
On Wednesday night, nine people were injured, during a second night of protests sparked by the fatal shooting of Keith Lamont Scott.
One of those injured was a man shot in the head in what police described as a "civilian on civilian" shooting.
Police spokesperson, Keith Trietley, said that 26-year-old Justin Carr had died in hospital and added that a homicide investigation had been launched.
Forty-four people were arrested and a state of emergency declared in the city on Wednesday night.
Hundreds of people again took to the streets of Charlotte on Thursday night in what has so far been a peaceful demonstration.
The demonstration began at around 7.30pm local time in the city's business district, known locally as uptown, the site of chaotic protests and vandalism on both Tuesday and Wednesday nights.
A midnight to 6am protest has been imposed on the city.
The protests began on Tuesday night, following Mr Scott's death.
Police said in a statement that the 43-year-old got out of his car on Tuesday holding a firearm and posed an "imminent deadly threat".
Department spokesman Keith Trietley said that the 43-year-old got out of the car and back in, and when officers approached he got out of the car again with a gun, and at least one officer fired a weapon.
However, posts on social media reported that Scott was unarmed and disabled, and family members say he was holding a book and waiting to pick up his son from school.
Police have resisted pressure to publicly release police video of the shooting, but they have shown it to Mr Scott's family.
The family's lawyer said that it was "impossible to tell" if Mr Scott was carrying a gun, but said that he did not approach the police in an aggressive manner.