The names of those deemed "responsible" for the downing of flight MH17 over Ukraine might be confirmed by the end of the year.
Ten Britons were among 298 people killed when the flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur was shot down by a missile in July 2014.
Earlier this week, a team of international investigators ruled the missile that hit the aircraft was made in Russia.
On Sunday, Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said the names of those believed to be responsible for the atrocity could soon be made public.
Speaking to ABC, Bishop said: "By the end of the year, maybe early next year, the list of those that we believe should be held accountable will be confirmed and then there must be a prosecution".
Contrary to Wednesday's findings, Russia claims that the flight was brought down by Ukraine's military.
However, international prosecutors believe the missile was fired from a pro-Russian rebel village from eastern Ukraine.
Bishop said the culprits could face an international tribunal, similar to the one used to prosecute those responsible for the 1988 bombing of a PanAm flight over Lockerbie, Scotland.