A huge tower block fire was caused by a faulty tumble dryer that was subject to a safety notice, an investigation has found.

It took 120 firefighters to bring the fire at an 18-storey building in London's Shepherd's Bush in August under control.

Now the London Fire Brigade has said it believes a faulty Indesit tumble dryer was the cause.

It said parent company Whirlpool should change its advice to customers so that any dryers waiting to be modified are not used.

A faulty Indesit tumble dryer was blamed for the fire. Credit: Reuters

London Fire Brigade's Director of Operations Dave Brown said:"Following an exhaustive examination of the scene and the remains of the appliance by our specialist fire investigators we remain satisfied the cause was the faulty dryer.

"This fire has highlighted just how dangerous faulty white goods can be. Disappointingly though, Whirlpool have still not changed their advice to consumers."

Consumer Minister Margot James said customer safety should be "the number one priority" for manufacturers.

She added: "I acknowledge that Whirlpool are making great efforts to modify and replace at-risk machines, but I believe additional action is required to reassure customers and the public."