Campaigners for an inquiry into the so-called 'Battle of Orgreave' have vowed to continue their fight.
Members of the Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign told a news conference "we regard the gloves as off" in response to Home Secretary Amber Rudd's decision not to look further into violent clashes between miners and police in 1984.
Barbara Jackson, from the Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign, said she was "shocked and devastated" after Ms Rudd rang her personally to tell her of the decision on Monday.
Barrister Mark George QC also told the news conference he believed the government's apparent sympathy towards the campaign earlier this year was just "testing the water".
He said the tide changed following the intervention of Lord Tebbit, who was a Cabinet minister in 1984, and others.
On Tuesday, a Home Office spokesman said Ms Rudd never promised to launch an inquiry.
He said: "The Home Secretary met the campaign and their supporters on 13 September to hear their concerns in person.
"The Home Secretary has told the Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign that she considered a range of options in reaching her decision, but at no point did she ever commit to establishing any form of inquiry."