Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Bonfire Night: How to stay safe

People enjoying sparklers in the run up to November the 5 Credit: PA

It's Bonfire Night on Saturday and to commemorate the Gunpowder Plot of 1605, many of us will be attending firework displays and bonfires at both private and public events.

Here's a guide on how you can stay safe during the celebrations:

  • Bonfires

The safest way to enjoy Bonfire Night is to attend an organised display. But if you're planning one at home make sure you light it at least 18 meters away from buildings and hedges and never leave it unattended.

A bucket of water should be kept nearby in case of emergencies.

Never use flammable liquids to start a bonfire such as petrol or paraffin and don't burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins or batteries.

Bonfire night being celebrated in Lincolnshire Credit: PA
  • Fireworks

Only buy fireworks marked with the British Standard Kitemark BS7114 and always follow the instructions carefully when using them.

Be responsible when handling fireworks, don't throw them and always light them at an arm's length.

Never go back to a firework even if it hasn't gone off as it could still explode.

Children love sparklers but remember not to give them to anyone under five years old and put them in water after use.

Fireworks light up at the sky over central London. Credit: PA
  • Attending displays

Professional displays are often the best way to capture the magic of Bonfire Night but they can be dangerous if they aren't organised properly.

To make sure you stay safe familiarise yourself with your surroundings and make sure you know where the emergency exits are.

Notify a member of staff if you notice that a fire exit is blocked, or fire doors have been wedged open.

If there is a fire, stay calm and raise the alarm. Do not attempt to fight a fire yourself – seek assistance from the event organisers.

People attend a fireworks display Credit: PA
  • Do not leave candles burning

Many of us will be having parities this weekend and candles can make a great addition to the atmosphere. But they are a major cause of fires around the home, so be sure to blow out candles when you leave the room and never leave them unattended with children or pets.