Zayn Malik won the American Music Awards' new artist of the year at a ceremony packed with political jabs.
The former One Direction singer was honoured at the star-studded show in Los Angeles, where British singer Sting also accepted a lifetime achievement award.
Malik's girlfriend and host Gigi Hadid made the show her own at one point with a tongue-in-cheek impression of incoming first lady Melania Trump.
In a further show of antipathy towards president-elect Donald Trump, US rock band Green Day performed a song with anti-Trump lyrics.
Collecting his award on Sunday evening, 23-year-old Malik said he had been through a "crazy" year - including the release of his first solo album.
A year and a half since leaving One Direction, Malik accepted his award with the quip: "This one just says my name on it, right".
As he left the stage he embraced Hadid, who was hosting the show alongside comedian Jay Pharoah.
During her impersonation, Hadid bought into the notion of Melania Trump copying Michelle Obama by thanking her "husband Barack Obama" and "children Malia and Sasha".
Trump criticism came from another quarter when rockers Green Day tweaked the lyrics of their song Bang Bang to criticise the new occupier of the White House.
During Green Day's performance, lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong sang: "No Trump, no KKK, no fascist USA".
Meanwhile, Selena Gomez, making her first public appearance following a reported stint in rehab, delivered an emotional acceptance speech after she was named favourite rock/pop female artist.
The 24-year-old announced she was taking time off from her career in August to deal with anxiety, panic attacks and depression as a result of the autoimmune disease lupus.
Appearing close to tears on stage, she said: "I think it's safe to say most of you know a lot of my life whether I liked it or not. I had to stop because I had everything and I was absolutely broken inside".
Ariana Grande beat Rihanna, Justin Bieber, Gomez and Carrie Underwood to win the top honour of the night: artist of the year.
Drake, who received a record 13 nominations, won four awards including favourite rap/hip hop artist and favourite rap/hip hop album for Views.
Bieber, who is on tour in Europe, also won four awards including favourite pop/rock male artist and video of the year for Sorry.
Rihanna won three awards, while Adele, who was up for four awards on the night, won favourite adult contemporary artist.
Full list of winners at the 2016 American Music Awards:
- Artist of the year: Ariana Grande
- New artist of the year: Zayn
- Collaboration of the year: Fifth Harmony featuring Ty Dolla Sign - Work From Home
- Tour of the year: Beyonce
- Video of the year: Justin Bieber - Sorry
- Favourite male artist - pop/rock: Justin Bieber
- Favourite female artist - pop/rock: Selena Gomez
- Favourite duo or group - pop/rock: Twenty One Pilots
- Favourite album - pop/rock: Justin Bieber - Purpose
- Favourite song - pop/rock: Justin Bieber - Love Yourself
- Favourite male artist - country: Blake Shelton
- Favourite female artist - country: Carrie Underwood
- Favourite duo or group - country: Florida Georgia Line
- Favourite album - country: Carrie Underwood - Storyteller
- Favourite song - country: Tim McGraw - Humble And Kind
- Favourite artist - rap/hip-hop: Drake
- Favourite Album - Rap/Hip-Hop: Drake- Views
- Favourite Song - Rap/Hip-Hop: Drake - Hotline Bling
- Favourite male artist - Soul/R&B:Chris Brown
- Favourite female artist - Soul/R&B: Rihanna
- Favourite album - Soul/R&B: Rihanna - Anti
- Favourite song - Soul/R&B: Rihanna featuring Drake - Work
- Favourite artist - alternative rock: Twenty One Pilots
- Favourte artist - adult contemporary: Adele
- Favourite artist - Latin: Enrique Iglesias
- Favourite artist - contemporary inspirational: Hillsong United
- Favourite artist - Electronic dance music: The Chainsmokers
- Top soundtrack: Purple Rain