Four charged with hate crime after torture of man streamed on Facebook

Four people have been charged with hate crime and battery after a "sickening" video emerged of a man being tortured in a Facebook Live broadcast.

The suspects were arrested after the white victim, who has "mental health challenges", was seen being assaulted whilst bound and gagged.

Tesfaye Cooper, Brittany Covington, Jordan Hill and Tanishia Covington have now been charged over the incident.

Police believe the victim knew his attackers and was possibly held captive for 48 hours before the assault.

During the 30-minute attack, the unnamed victim had his clothes cut and his head forcibly pushed back with a foot.

He also had part of his scalp removed by a knife, drawing blood, a spokesperson from the Chicago Police said.

Footage appears to show someone off-camera using profanities against "white people" and President-elect Donald Trump.

Police believe the victim was an acquaintance of one of the attackers and was possibly held captive for up to 48 hours before the assault.

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson condemned the attack as 'sickening'. Credit: AP

David Boyd, the victim's brother-in-law and family spokesperson, appealed for privacy.

Speaking at a news conference, he said: "We're grateful for the prayers and efforts that led to the safe return of our brother. We are aware of the charges being brought against the offenders.

"We ask for prayers and privacy.

"We're overwhelmed and surprised [by all the attention]. We're happy that everyone's concerned and this should never happen."

Facebook has since removed the video. Credit: PA

It makes you wonder what makes individuals treat somebody like that.

Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson

Officers were called to an address on the city's West Side on Tuesday evening where they found signs of a struggle and damaged property.

At the same time, the victim was found walking in a distressed state nearby.

He was taken to hospital for treatment and released a short while later.

The video was initially posted to Facebook, but has since been removed.

A Facebook spokesman said the social media site does "not allow people to celebrate or glorify crimes on Facebook".