Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Disgraced entertainer Rolf Harris to face retrial

Rolf Harris faces a retrial over alleged sex offences Credit: PA

Disgraced entertainer Rolf Harris will face a retrial on three sex offence charges and one new count, a prosecutor has said.

Last week a jury found the 86-year-old not guilty of three assaults, after a trial at Southwark Crown Court in London.

Harris appeared via video-link for Wednesday's hearing.

The former TV star is accused of four indecent assaults against three female teenagers, in attacks spanning two decades.

He will be retried for the alleged indecent assault of a 14-year-old girl in 1971, a 13-year-old girl in 1983, and a teenage girl in 1978.

He faces a new count of assault against the same girl in the 1978 allegation.

A CPS spokesperson said: “After careful consideration, we have decided to seek a retrial of Rolf Harris in relation to the charges of non-recent indecent assault on which the jury were unable to agree in respect of three of the complainants. A new, fourth count of indecent assault has also been added.

“This decision was taken after consideration of all the matters set out in our legal guidance on seeking re-trials when a jury has failed to agree on a verdict.

“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds all concerned that criminal proceedings against Rolf Harris remain active and that he has a right to a fair trial. It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”

The retrial date is set for May 15.

Judge Alistair McCreath remanded Harris in custody.