Grenfell Tower management boss Robert Black quits 'to assist with inquiry'

The chief executive of the organisation that manages Grenfell Tower has quit so he can "concentrate on assisting with the investigation and inquiry".

In a statement, Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO) confirmed Robert Black had agreed to "step aside". The announcement comes two days after Sir Martin Moore-Bick was appointed to lead the public inquiry into the fire that killed at least 80 people.

The statement said: "The board wishes to ensure that KCTMO remains best positioned to fully co-operate and assist with the inquiry and so it has agreed with its chief executive, Robert Black, that Mr Black should step aside from his role as chief executive of KCTMO in order that he can concentrate on assisting with the investigation and inquiry.

"The board of KCTMO welcomes the appointment of Sir Martin Moore-Bick to lead the public inquiry into the tragedy at Grenfell Tower.

The organisation added:"The welfare of the residents of KCTMO remains the primary concern of the board."

According to the latest figures from the Grenfell Response Team, set up to manage the official response and support operation to the tragedy, some 364 households are in emergency accommodation following the blaze in the 24-storey tower block on June 14.

Some 140 hotel placements have been made for people living in Grenfell Tower and Grenfell Walk.

There are also 109 additional households now in hotels from the wider affected area.

Earlier, Downing Street had rebuked Kensington and Chelsea for cutting short a meeting to discuss the Grenfell Tower fire tragedy because of the presence of reporters.

Prime Minister Theresa May said the council should have "respected" a High Court ruling that the press and public should be allowed into the meeting, which was originally slated to be held behind closed doors.

Media and the public were initially barred from attending the Thursday evening meeting, but after a challenge at the High Court, journalists won the right to be present.

However the leader of the council, Nicholas Paget-Brown, quickly abandoned the meeting, citing concerns about "prejudice" to an upcoming inquiry about the tragedy if journalists were there.

On Friday morning Mr Paget-Brown replied "No comment" when asked if he should resign.