1. ITV Report

Two-year-old Kiara Moore dies in apparent accident after car rolled into river

Kiara Moore would have celebrated her third birthday next week. Credit: Nicola Rowlands

A two-year-old girl has died in an apparent accident after a car was found plunged into a river in Wales.

Kiara Moore, who would have celebrated her third birthday next Tuesday, died at the University Hospital of Wales after being recovered from a silver Mini in the River Teifi in Cardigan.

On Monday afternoon, numerous Facebook posts claimed a silver Mini had been stolen from the town with a girl in it.

It is now believed the car rolled into the river after being parked close to the water and police have confirmed they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the death.

Kiara's father Jet Moore wrote on Facebook: "They got in the car to go home. Sat on bank card which snapped and needed money to get home etc.

"Went back to the office to get money from the desk and came back to no car. Looked in the river no signs. So we thought she and the car had been taken."

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

He went on to thank the police for going "way beyond the call of duty" by entering the river and pulling Kiara out.

He also thanked emergency services who tried for hours to revive his daughter.

He added: "She was an incredible happy young girl who lived I hope a great adventurous fun life. And may have done more than most people."

"Had a loving family and made us all happy. She always wanted to be called RAR RAR which was our nickname for her. Love her so much."

A slipway by the River Teifi in Cardigan, Wales, near the scene where two-year-old Kiara Moore was recovered from a car that had plunged into the river. Credit: PA

Noel Lewis, who owns a business close to Mr Moore's said he knew Mr Moore and would see him as well as Kiara and her mother.

He said he often saw a silver Mini parked on the slipway but he was not there on Monday so did not know if it was there then.

Of the slipway, he said: "It's concrete, about four or five foot, going down into the river bed, which is quite deep, so if the Mini rolled back then the poor little girl didn't stand a chance."