An anaesthetist in Hong Kong is charged with killing his wife and daughter by placing a leaking yoga ball filled with carbon monoxide in their car.
Malaysian citizen Khaw Kim-sun, 53, was allegedly having an affair and had become estranged from his wife and four children, although they continued to live together, Hong Kong’s South China Morning Post reported.
Khaw is accused of putting the gas-filled yoga ball in the boot of a Mini Cooper driven by his wife, Wong Siew-fung, on May 22, 2015.
The paper said Wong and their 16-year-old daughter were found unconscious in the car about an hour after leaving home and were later declared dead from severe carbon monoxide poisoning, although the vehicle showed no defects.
Khaw was arrested in September and his trial began on Wednesday. He has pleaded not guilty.
Khaw reportedly obtained the carbon monoxide from the teaching hospital where he worked and was assisted by a student with whom he was having an affair.
He told colleagues he wanted to "test its purity" and its effects on rabbits, however he later told the police he had wanted to use it to kill rats at home, although a domestic helper employed by the family testified they had no rodent problem, the paper reported.
Khaw was unaware his daughter was home from school on the day of her death and had likely not intended to kill her.
The prosecutor Andrew Bruce was quoted saying: "The last thing the accused wanted was for his 16-year-old to die."
"If that person knew what was in the car was carbon monoxide and knew it was a dangerous gas likely to kill you, you can confirm this person had homicide on his mind," Bruce reportedly told the jury of five men and four women.