Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Dog recovers after eating metal skewer inside kebab at barbecue

Animal experts were stunned to discover the piece of metal inside Hoshi (Pets’n’Vets Family/PA) Photo:

Vets have performed life-saving surgery on a dog which swallowed an eight-inch metal skewer along with a chicken kebab.

The animal experts were stunned to discover the piece of metal inside a Shar-Pei called Hoshi when they took X-rays to investigate a lump which had appeared in her side.

The dog had eaten the skewer inside the kebab at a barbecue she attended with her vegetarian owners.

Hoshi has made a good recovery since the skewer was removed in an operation at the Roundhouse Veterinary Hospital in Glasgow.

Hoshi with her owner Sandra Kin Credit: Pets’n’Vets Family/PA

Ruth Greening, a veterinary surgeon at The Pets’n’Vets Family, carried out the procedure.

She said: “Hoshi came in for X-rays to investigate a lump which had appeared on the side of her abdomen.

“We were astounded when X-rays revealed that the swelling on Hoshi’s abdomen was the point of a large metal skewer piercing her ribs, which she had apparently swallowed at the barbecue.”

The six-year-old dog spent two to three days recovering at the hospital last month before returning home.

Her owner Sandra Kin said: “Hoshi has previously eaten some things she shouldn’t have – but I never thought she’d swallow a whole piece of meat with a huge metal barbeque stick in it.

“Hoshi’s a little bit crazy; but I guess that’s why we love her!”