Westminster attack victim Aysha Frade 'completely unaware she was about to be hit'

Aysha Frade was killed in the Westminster Bridge terror attack (family handout/PA) Credit: PA Wire/PA Images

A mother-of-two was looking at her phone "completely unaware" that she was about to be mowed down in an SUV during the Westminster terror attack, an inquest has heard.

Aysha Frade had her back to Khalid Masood's Hyundai Tucson when she was hit and thrown in a somersault around 17.4 metres, landing in a bus lane on Westminster Bridge on March 22 last year.

The 44-year-old's head and shoulders went under the side of a slow-moving number 53 bus and she was killed instantly when its back wheel passed over her.

On Wednesday, the inquest into her death heard she had no idea what was about to happen, even though Masood had already hit five people, killing two of them.

Detective Constable Simon Osland took the Old Bailey through a video compilation of CCTV clips of Mrs Frade’s final moments.

Gareth Patterson QC, representing her family, asked him: "Having been focused on her phone it’s clear, isn’t it, that at no stage do you see Aysha turning round or doing anything else, any movement to suggest that she heard the car or was aware of what was going to happen?"

The officer replied: "She seemed completely unaware."

Masood was driving an average of 31mph when he deliberately knocked down Kurt Cochran, 54, Leslie Rhodes, 75, Mrs Frade, 44, and Andreea Cristea, 31, on Westminster Bridge before stabbing Pc Keith Palmer to death at the gates to the Palace of Westminster.

Members of her family sat in Court One of the Old Bailey looking down at the ground as graphic and distressing footage of the tragedy was shown.

Mr Patterson said there was hair on Masood’s car, suggesting she hit her head on the windscreen.

She was then thrown into the road, with the number 53 bus braking, coming to a halt in five seconds.

Khalid Masood was shot by police following his deadly rampage.

The lawyer for the family said a pathologist had concluded her death would have been "instantaneous and would have been without suffering".

Mr Patterson said graphic photos and videos had been posted on the internet of Mrs Frade’s body by passers-by, causing "real distress to the family".

He added: "Despite efforts to have them taken down because of the distress caused, to this day there are images on the internet."

Bus passenger Rob English picked up Mrs Frade’s phone from the road, and answered a call from her husband John.

Mr English told him there had been a terrible accident and advised him to get to the bridge.