The hope of finding survivors buried following a mudslide caused by Typhoon Mangkhut is diminishing.
Forty-eight hours have passed since dozens of miners were swept up in the landslide, which was the result of the heavy rain associated with a typhoon.
Many of the missing in the Philippines are gold miners and their families feared buried in a landslide after seeking shelter in a bunkhouse-turned-chapel in Itogon town in Benguet province.
The building - a former mining bunkhouse that had been transformed into a chapel - was obliterated when part of a mountain slope collapsed.
The town's mayor, Victorio Palangdan, says it's highly unlikely any of the 40 to 50 people who are feared buried in a huge mudslide set off by Typhoon Mangkhut can be found alive.
He said in a news conference there's "99 percent (chance) that they really are all dead".
Additionally, millions of people have been instructed to get out of the path of Typhoon Mangkhut which has left a trail of destruction in southern China, Hong Kong and the Philippines.
At least 69 people have been killed by Mangkhut - which was downgraded to a tropical storm as it moved deeper into China - with dozens still missing.
Chinese media reported that more than 2.4 million people had been relocated, and tens of thousands of fishing boats called back to port.
The storm was still affecting southern China’s coast and the provinces of Guangdong, Guangxi and Hainan on Monday with rain and strong winds expected to continue through Tuesday.
A Philippine national police report said the latest death toll in the country was 65, with 43 people missing and 64 injured.
The Philippine government ordered a stop to all illegal mining in six mountainous northern provinces in a drastic decision to prevent more tragedies.
The country was hit with winds of 127 miles per hour on Saturday.
Hong Kong residents were told to stay away from the coastline and be on alert for occasional gales.
Bus, ferry and rail services were suspended and almost 900 flights were cancelled at the city’s airport, one of the world’s busiest.
The South China Morning Post said Hong Kong’s hospitals had to use back-up power due to outages caused by the storm.
Chinese authorities reported four deaths from falling trees and building materials in Guangdong, China’s manufacturing hub.
The Hong Kong Observatory reported Mangkhut was the most powerful cyclone to hit the city since 1979, packing maximum sustained gusts of 121 mph.
Mangkhut also shattered glass windows on commercial skyscrapers, felled trees, tore scaffolding off buildings under construction and flooded some areas of Hong Kong with waist-high waters, according to the South China Morning Post.
Casinos on Macau were ordered to close for the first time due to the typhoon.